Netball Samoa is gearing up for a tremendous year.
The year has just begun and netball is already training hard for their upcoming International Youth Netball Series which will take place next week.
One star set to shine on stage is Romaina Pose, a young athlete who hails from the villages of Vaimoso and Moamoa.
The executive and management for Netball Samoa has nominated Ms. Pose as “Breakout Star of the Year” for her outstanding performances in 2016.
Ms. Pose is one of the few locally based players who will be representing Samoa in the upcoming tournament. Prior to her selection, Ms. Pose has made tremendous achievements in netball.
Here are some of the accomplishments that have earned her the recognition:
• Played in the top line up during the Oceania Qualifiers Tournament
• Player in the winning team of the National Netball League, Women’s Division and current Shield Holders – St Mary’s Sport Club
• Player in the team that won Gold for the Upolu Samoa Games Netball Competition – Team Blue
• Player in the team that won that Annual EKFS Netball Competition – Vaimoso EFKS
• Displayed consistent improvement and one of our emerging players
• Breakout Star of the Year 2016
The recent graduate from Samoa College is both excited and a bit nervous for the upcoming tournament which will lead up to the 2017 Netball Youth World Cup.
The young athlete got in to the sport in Year 5, when her Aunt Rachel asked her to give netball a chance. Since that fateful day, Ms. Pose has been hooked. She began attending training and found a club to help hone her skills to reach the level of success that she is at today.
Ms. Pose says her biggest inspiration is her father.
She stated, “My dad is always pushing me over my limit and is always there for me. He always supports me on and off the court.”
The upcoming star named Silver Fern, Kayla Cullen is an athlete she looks up to for her positive attitude, skills and speed on the court.